The society, first founded in 1821 and re-founded in 2014, exists to promote reading. To this end, the society, which has 40 members, operates two reading lounges in the rooms of the former Huber publishing house as a Place of reading, education and debate. Newspapers and periodicals are laid out in the smaller of the two, while discussions take place between the bookshelves in the larger. The muted and natural colours of the bookshelves go harmoniously with the wooden floor and with the comfy leather chairs. A small kitchen and a wine cooler with two temperature zones provide for creature comforts as required.